Here are some tips of what not to say on a job interview:
- Never say you don’t have experience.
- Never say you don’t have any weaknesses.
- Never say the job is your stepping stone to achieve another goal outside the company.
- Do not discuss pay, benefits or holiday unless prompted to do so by the interviewer
- Do not say you don’t see anyone else more qualified than you.
1) Never say you don’t have experience.
Talk about the skills you have instead. This question is a chance for you to showcase your most relevant personal qualities and highlight what makes you a strong candidate for the role. Discuss three or four of your character traits and explain how they will help you succeed in the role.
Tell me about yourself
I am a positive, enthusiastic and loyal person who understands you need someone in the role who is going to help you to achieve your commercial goal. I am confident that having studied the job description, this role is suited to my abilities.
Always be positive and never say negative.
2) Never say you don’t have any weaknesses.
Instead, give an honest and genuine weakness that is not a requirement of the role. Identify a professional weakness and explain how you are working (or worked) to improve it or plan to if hired for the position.
What are you weaknesses?
My biggest weakness is the fact that I find it difficult to answer “No” to people. If someone asks me for help, or if they want me to do something of significant for them, I will never say no even if I don’t have the capacity to help them.
3) Never say the job is your stepping stone to achieve another goal outside the company.
Instead, tell them that you still see yourself working for them in the next 5 years or so.
Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?
I plan to still be working for you either in the same role or having gained advancement to a higher level.
4) Do not discuss pay, benefits or holiday unless prompted to do so by the interviewer
Why do you want this job?
It is important for me that I am achieving something positive. Within this job, I will get to put my skills and qualities to good use.
5) Do not say you don’t see anyone else more qualified than you.
Instead, further showcase your skills, qualities and experience.
Why should we hire you?
You should hire me because I am a loyal person and somebody who will always act a positive role model for your organization and for your brand.